Bobby Fischer on 9/11

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Mar 22 18:48:05 PST 2002

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> The intention was to point out the propaganda advantage that such
> ludicrous commentary offers its opposition. In this case, then all
> opposition to US foreign policy responses to 9/11 can be smeared via
> Fischer as more examples of hate america-first, anti-semitic,
> conspiratorist, weirdos.

Back in the '50s Sidney Hook wrote an essay arguing that Communists had no right to academic freedom & should be fired from academic positions. He listed as one of the dirty and unethical tricks communists pulled is that they would invite a nazi-sympathizer to speak and then sneak in communist propaganda as a reply to the nazi. I always thought it was a clever idea but have never had a chance to pull it off. But anyhow, I guess we shouldn't complain if the enemy pulls the same trick -- shouldn't whine that is, but we should of course try to expose it.

Even worse, of course, is when they let some gitlin or alterman or cooper speak for the left in a debate with a right winger -- either in print or on tv or radio.

Carrol