Don't blame Hakki for the Turkish government

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Sun Mar 24 18:57:56 PST 2002

Sabri Oncu:

> I find the above statement of Dennis Perrin highly
> offending. I have no fucking relationship with the chauvinists in
> my country and find statements like "But the US didn't invent
> Turkish chauvinism, nor did it teach the Turks how to kill and
> repress their enemies" highly racist. Chauvinism is universal and
> subcategories such as Turkish, Canadian, American, Japanese and
> the like are rubbish.

Well, I agree with you about subcategories and the obvious fact that chauvinism is universal. That said, there are specific tribal versions of chauvinism, and I merely pointed to the Turkish example, which is pretty gruesome in recent times, not to mention the Armenian genocide of yesteryear. I don't see the racism in pointing out that the US, where I live, finances the ethnic violence of another state, Turkey, where Hakki and you live. If Hakki is gonna flame me for living in a violent state, then his address is on the table as well.

> How would you feel Dennis if I reciprocate with a similar
> statement about Americans?

It would depend on your statement. In many cases, I'd probably agree with you.

DP