The Oscars

joanna bujes joanna.bujes at ebay.sun.com
Tue Mar 26 15:53:36 PST 2002

Lapsing into the trivial, for a change.... I watched the Oscars Sunday night with my mother (74-year-old emigree from the old country (Romania)). She doesn't get out much, so these spectacles form the bulk of her cultural nutrition. At the end, she remarked that the best part of the show had been the commercials.

She was right. The "substance" of the show was so self-congratulatory, contrived, and superficial...that it made the commercials look positively Chekhovian and deep by contrast. Now, the only TV I watch is "Sopranos" and "6 Feet Under"...so let me ask those of you who indulge: Is this generally true? Are the commercials better than standard programming? If so, do you think it's by design?

Joanna