[NLGchicago] a joke

Jeffrey Fisher jfisher at igc.org
Thu Mar 28 10:11:09 PST 2002

have we done this before? when i was in mexico back in 95 or 96, i heard a version of this joke with the fbi, scotland yard, and the mexican police (i can't recall the abbreviation, but i thought it was the mexico city police force, although it might have been a federal force). it often produced somewhat nervous laughter.

in any event, the joke went that

there was a contest held among scotland yard, the fbi, and the mexico city police (we'll say). the nature of the contest was that a rabbit would be released and each force would be timed for how long it took to capture the rabbit.

The first rabbit was released. After ten minutes, the FBI got the go signal. Fifteen minutes later, they came back with the rabbit.

"well, that's pretty good," everyone mumbled.

The second rabbit was released. Off went Scotland Yard in pursuit. Ten minutes later, they had the rabbit.

"wow, that's impressive," said everyone, in awe.

The third rabbit was released, and off went the mexican police force. Five minutes later, here came they came dragging an elephant, and the elephant was screaming, "i'll tell them i'm the rabbit you're looking for! i'll tell them i'm the rabbit you're looking for!"

as a friend of mine used to say, the line between cops and robbers in mexico city is pretty thin. "porous" might be an even better way of putting it.