hey perrin, did you pen the editorial in todays's Daily News?

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Nov 7 08:05:34 PST 2002

>>Lacks my signature touch, but otherwise I've got no real problem with it.
>>The al-Q operatives that were hit were a military target -- no block of
>>houses destroyed, hotels ripped apart, refugee camps strafed; simply some
>>thugs in a car with, apparently, explosives, wiped out. While I don't think
>>this is the sole way to go, in this instance I see nothing wrong.
>>
>>Al-Q is at war with us. You may not believe it, accept it, want to deal with
>>it, or wish to change the subject. But they are out there planning new
>>attacks, minus these six.
>>
>>DP
>
>Have you seen the names of all six men killed in this car? Have you
>seen proof that they were all involved in terrorists threats to the
>U.S.? Or is the CIA's word proof enough for you? It isn't for me.
>Our country can't kill anyone anywhere anytime and say we know they
>were terrorists but aren't required to prove it. If we engage in
>that sort of behavior we are criminals ourselves.
>
>John Thornton

The main target of the CIA missile attack in Yemen, according to USA Today, was Sinan al-Harthi, a man suspected for being linked to "the October 2000 suicide bombing of the warship USS Cole" (@ <http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2002-11-04-yemen-side-usat_x.htm>). The deed that Sinan al-Harthi was suspected of having committed is far more justifiable (by the standards of human rights, laws of warfare, etc.) than, say, the US air attack that killed Qaddafi's adopted daughter, the US destruction of the pharmaceutical factory in Sudan, the NATO bombing of the Yugoslav TV station, the US degradation of Iraqi water supply (@ <http://www.progressive.org/0801issue/nagy0901.html>), etc. After all, USS Cole was an warship, not a civilian installation.

The other five men also killed by the missile attack remain unnamed; I doubt that DP or anyone else knows who they are. -- Yoshie