hey perrin, did you pen the editorial in todays's Daily News?

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Thu Nov 7 09:43:53 PST 2002

Peter K. wrote:
>>> An example of someone on the left who equates the US and Al Qaeda.

Carrol Cox:
> I have never equated the two. Al Qaeda is a very nasty criminal
> organization, capable of killing some thousands of people, probably not
> many more within the U.S. than it already has. The U.S. is already
> responsible for 10s (probably hundreds) of millions of deaths and the
> misery of billions. It is grotesque to put Al Qaeda and such a monster
> as U.S. imperialism in the same category.

But you've got to give them something for trying, eh?

By the way, I think this Yemen stuff is very, very small potatoes compared to what's coming up. You'd better save up your outrage instead of spilling it all now, especially on poor Dennis P. or the hapless Democrats; you're going to need it.

This particular hit was interesting to me mainly because I think it's the first case of admitted and celebrated assassination by the U.S. And, as someone noted, it may be the first case of assassination by remote-controlled robot. One small step, then, into the gathering gloom, of a demoralized and degenerating society, which as a community has just signed up for the march. Possibly there will be some opportunity for radicals in the catastrophes to come, but at the same time, folks, watch your backs; there will be a lot of opportunity-seekers out there, many of them not very nice.

I recall a science fiction story in which robot killing machines roamed the earth; they had been programmed to kill a long-forgotten someone's long-forgotten enemy, and when they ran out of the enemies their little brains widened the parameters a little and they started killing their "friends". And when they ran out of _them_, they started killing everyone else. But you don't need machines for that.

I don't think I want to think about this stuff any more.

-- Gordon