House Passes- Senate Dems Kill Bankruptcy Bill

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Fri Nov 15 18:00:18 PST 2002

----- Original Message ----- From: "Michael Pollak" <mpollak at panix.com>

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Nathan Newman wrote:
>> If the Dems are such whores of the credit card industry, why aren't they
>>passing the bill the in the Senate?

>In short, I don't see any evidence Dashle's stand has got a single thing
>to do with principled opposition to the bankruptcy ideas. I think if you
>put back in that provision forbidding future Operation Rescues from
>declaring backruptcy Daschle would pass it in a Visa minute. Do you
>disagree?

"principled opposition"? Of course not, since he voted for the bill. Unprincipled opposition, yes. The very introduction of the anti-abortion provision was designed to derail the bankruptcy bill.

Of course it allowed the Dems to have their cake (get financial support from the credit card industry) and eat it too (defeat the bill ultimately). But the result is in practical result the defeat of the bill, it hardly seems like a bad result.

I'd far rather the corporate suits get the pleasing rhetoric and progressives get the actual substance. It's far better than the other way around.

-- Nathan Newman