Contact Information, Etc. Re: Corn transcript

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Nov 21 10:20:25 PST 2002

>Liza Featherstone writes:
>> All true. There is a reluctance to ask questions on all sides.
>> Sometimes ANSWER's critics take smug purist comfort in having
>> "nicer" politics: sure our demo only has 50 people but at least we're
>> not icky Milosevic supporters -- that attitude, too, evades needed
>> questions (i.e. what is ANSWER doing that works) and doesn't really
>> get us anywhere.
>
>I don't think there really a question about what ANSWER is doing.
>Permits, buses, time, and bodies. The problem seems to be the need for
>an umbrella anti-war organization to assume the necessary tasks. Is
>there something like this in formation?
>
>-- Shane

There is a misunderstanding of how to organize big demos on the part of WW/IAC/ANSWER critics. Getting permits, porta johns, etc. is a relatively easy part that any organization can do on its own. Getting buses, however, is not the doing of WW/IAC/ANSWER organizers alone -- far from it. WW/IAC/ANSWER most likely has big enough chapters with good enough organizers only in DC, NYC, Chicago, LA, and SF, who can themselves charter some buses and organize some caravans. That's _not_ enough to make a big national action happen. What WW/IAC/ANSWER has is _a current (i.e., not outdated!] list of contact persons who are themselves skilled local organizers with good phone trees and mailing lists_ -- something that cannot be developed overnight. It is those local organizers _unaffiliated with WW/IAC/ANSWER_ who are doing the main part of the work. The other two coalitions -- NION and United for Peace -- have yet to develop as good a list of local organizers unaffiliated with NION and United for Peace -- as WW/IAC/ANSWER does. No national "coalition" can hope to achieve a big turnout in the USA (where activist scenes are much more decentralized than in other nations) only through organizers already inside the "coalition"; you have to know how to let organizers outside the "coalition" know about upcoming actions. That's why I titled this thread "contact information," because that's what you need, if you want to be successful. -- Yoshie