Contact Information, Etc. Re: Corn transcript

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Fri Nov 22 00:45:05 PST 2002

>I actually don't think that, in this age of email, people need left
>journalists to advertise protests in advance. The same people who read the
>alternative media also subscribe to email lists on which they get tons of
>information about major actions. You can also get that kind of information
>on Indymedia. (And the alternative media is not generally an effective way
>of reaching people who don't have Internet access, either -- you need
>churches, community centers or Nathanesque door-knocking for that) I myself
>never learn about major actions from any print media. That part of our role
>is gone -- there are now much more efficient ways to publicize actions.
>
>Liza

You have yet to realize the full implications of what it means to promote "red entrepreneurship." Entrepreneurs -- even those with established brand names -- are not at all satisfied with simply buying ads in the most efficient mass media for their respective purposes; they also make use of all available media -- even minor or primitive ones -- in addition, and creatively so. For instance, they employ students to do the chalking on campuses to advertise bands and concerts; they do product placements in movies, integrating ads into plot devices; they entice models, musicians, and the like to come to clubs and restaurants, to make them seem like the places to see and to be seen; they build lines artificially for club and restaurant openings, to generate a buzz; etc.

Getting event notices written by their organizers from listserv postings and Indymedia helps; picking up flyers from churches, community centers, etc. helps; seeing flyers plastered all over helps; hearing word-of-mouth endorsements helps; seeing upcoming events -- on balance -- favorably discussed in print and on the Net by reporters and columnists, and hearing them talked about by radio show hosts, helps. Every little bit helps. Noticing the same upcoming events promoted -- sometimes obviously, sometimes subtly, sometimes critically, at times even mostly negatively -- in numerous venues reinforces their importance in the minds of existing and potential activists much more than getting their notices from just one or two sources.

I'd venture to say that WW/IAC/ANSWER have benefited from all the free promotions that they have received from their detractors on the Net, in print, and now on TV -- even negative coverage is far better than none. Just being talked about makes a difference, especially as criticisms, be they thoughtful or thoughtless, tend to invite contrary opinions and lead to discussion. (Ironically, in the last couple of years WW/IAC/ANSWER has become the most talked-about group on LBO-talk.) Remember what Foucault says about power? Power incites, induces, and seduces. Rather than repressing perversions, power is productive of them. In this case, whether critics of WW/IAC/ANSWER function as power productive of WW/IAC/ANSWER as a perversion or vice versa is unclear -- perhaps it's a little of both at the same time. ;-> -- Yoshie