US Out of Everywhere

Nathan Newman nathan at newman.org
Thu Oct 10 16:54:52 PDT 2002

>I'll dig up the quotes where the words "only" and "2000
>deaths" were rather closely paired in many arguing why Milosevic's crimes
>were not very significant. At points there are choices where relative
>deaths are measured-- that's why all violence is not unjustified if it can
>prevent more.

-Wow, you're sure masterful at changing the topic. Most of the -"excess" deaths in Iraq over the last 10 years are the result of the -U.S.-led embargo and the hangover from the bombing during the last -Gulf War (e.g. water purification plants). A U.S. invasion would kill -undetermined additional numbers of Iraqis. Not even George Bush is -talking about stopping the slaughter of an ethnic minority in Iraq as -a justification for war.

Which is why I am against this war since there is no relative justification for this invasion giving the likely consequences and motives of those seeking it. We were discussing the relative deaths from military action in Iraq versus the far more significant number of deaths due to AIDS and poverty around the world and why an isoloationist position by the US is not the ideal progressive policy to promote.

-- Nathan Newman