Towards a More Sex-Positive -- And More Relevant -- Left

Todd Archer todda39 at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 17 17:55:57 PDT 2002

Anthony said:

>As for Carole's notion that the "anti-sex left" is only a figment of >some
>outsider's imagination: I invite you to check out a recent >article that
>appeared in Counterpunch by Professor Robert Jensen >called "Rape is
>Normal" (http://www.counterpunch.org/jensen0904.html); >it clearly states
>his complete absorption of the Dworkin-MacKinnon >theory of male sexual
>rapicity/female passivity in order to sell his >analysis of pornography and
>prostitution as a grave threat to women >and a tool of "capitalist
>patriarchy".

Actually a few months ago, don't remember when, I and a few others had an idea of Andrea Dworkin along these lines. A young woman who knew better found an excellent refutation in a Dworking interview of that "old canard" as she put it. Try googling LBO-talk, Dworkin, canard or something like that. You should find the link to the interview.

>And I won't begin to mention the numerous anti-abortion leftists who
> >appear on this list from time to time. (In my personal view, the
> >centerpiece of anti-abortion activism (whether left or right) isn't
> >about protecting the fetus; it's controlling women and their >sexuality;
>it's no surprise that most "pro-life" leftists also happen
>to be staunchly sex-negative and erotophobic.)

So far, I've only seen one person on this list who comes even remotely close to being anti-abortion. And it's not Dennis Perrin. Can't remember who the Devil it was, though. But s/he didn't say word one about his/her attitude about sex in general.

>And to Carole's blast about "Bleacher Bums": whether we like it or >not,
>we on the Left will have to admit that we are indeed currently on >the
>outside looking in; if we are to gain any relevance with the real >world --
>and not just criticize it from the outside -- we must be >willing to accept
>the fact that real people do have sex, that most men >and women do have
>real sexual feelings and fantasies, that they will >use the erotic medium
>to express those feelings and fantasies, and >that those feelings and
>fantasies need to be acknowledged and >respected. Sex is an integral
>aspect of human life; it needs to be >acknowedged with the full treatment
>it deserves.

That's a fine enough observation, but it doesn't reply to what Carrol was talking about. He was criticizing Thomas' assertion that there is any such animal as an "anti-sex" Left (I presume Carrol means an organization and not disparate individuals). Do you think Carrol's right or not?

Todd

_________________________________________________________________ Get a speedy connection with MSN Broadband.  Join now! http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/freeactivation.asp