the anti sex left

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 22 12:40:13 PDT 2002

At 2:25 PM -0400 10/22/02, Anthony Kennerson wrote:
>IMHO, the term "sex-positive" simply means being respectful to the
>choices of consenting adults regarding their particular exploration
>of sex and sexual material, including their right to consume and
>produce sexually explicit material.

That's basically liberalism 101. No need to recapitulate it here.

At 2:25 PM -0400 10/22/02, Anthony Kennerson wrote:
>The point about "sex-positivity" is the acceptance of the basic fact
>that most human beings do have sexual thoughts and fantasies, and
>that they should be allowed to be expressed with the utmost respect
>for the feelings of others....including (or to be more accurate,
>ESPECIALLY) those that do not share their particular fantasies,
>behaviors, or tastes.

If you put too much premium on "the utmost respect for feelings of others" (which naturally includes the utmost respect for feelings of the most conservative) as a requirement for publication of sexual expressions, you in effect concede much ground to those who prefer the strait and narrow.

At 2:25 PM -0400 10/22/02, Anthony Kennerson wrote:
>I no more want a strip club in my neighborhood than the next guy

It's probably through the concentration of private property in fewer hands that much of censorship of expressions, not just sexual expressions, gets accomplished. Not in my franchise, not in my shopping mall, not on my TV channel, not in my newspaper, etc.... That's the limit of liberalism. -- Yoshie