(no subject)

Dddddd0814 at aol.com Dddddd0814 at aol.com
Thu Oct 24 13:22:30 PDT 2002

Chip wrote:

"There is one country currently capable of world imperialism, but there are several movements and regimes that are fascist or authoritarian oligarchies. We should be careful not to support fascism or oligarchy as a way to combat imperialism. That is suicidal."

What is the definition of support here? To talk about them favorably on a listserv, give them money, provide them arms, or....? I have yet to see anyone openly supporting any of the U.S.'s official enemies on this list. Maybe someone can give an example of where this was done in the past?

I have, however, seen a fair amount of talk about the manner in which these regimes have, in various ways, resisted U.S. imperialism. But I consider that more of a recitation of history than support of anything.

There are some more global reasons for why this talk is occurring. The principle reason for me seems to be the fact that there are no leftist regimes which stand as a real challenge to the United States. Islamic fundamentalism is really the primary form of resistance to U.S. global monopoly capitalism. This is, for now, the unfortunate reality. But if folks want someone to blame for this, don't blame leftists, but the U.S. military forces who destroyed anything remotely leftist on earth. There is no "left" left to blame!

If one wants to seriously challenge the grip of reactionaries who oppose U.S. imperialism, they ought to be building a radical workers movement, not sitting around bleeding their liberal hearts away about some deposed semi-Stalinist dictators and religious wingnuts, or pointing their finger at everyone that doesn't use the framework of U.S. media propaganda to talk about them.....

-- David

p.s. Chip I wasn't talking about you.