Saddam addresses Chechen kidnappers

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 26 18:50:17 PDT 2002

> http://english.pravda.ru/main/2002/10/26/38701.html
>
> "His Excellency President Saddam Hussein" sez: "Listen to the voice of
> Baghdad and if you are convinced, do what you should do (free the
> hostages and do not harm them)", etc.
>
>Also, who knows anything about about this pravda.ru? Is it really
>descended from the old Soviet Pravda? Betcha they never had a
>"porno-scandal" link on their front page! It has kind of a NY Post feel
>to it, complete with an article promoting a hostage-taking spree among
>the kidnappers's families down in Chechnya. Maybe that's just the
>translators - but look, this article's bylined one "Timothy
>Bancroft-Hinchey." Imagine it was written in English, translated into
>Russian, and then translated back to English.
>
>Yours WDK - WKiernan at concentric.net

Pravda, like most of the Soviet papers, was privatized in the 90s. It is the same Pravda, but not the organ of the CPRF (which is Sovetskaya Rossiya). They tend to be pro-Communist Party though, mildly nationalist, big on pan-Slavism, Orthodoxy, traditionalism, anti-Westernism. Chip would call 'em "red-brown," but I wouldn't. They publish Pat Buchanan often and Juston Raimondo periodically. Basically social democratic mild Russian nationalists and pan-Slavists editorially for the most part.

_________________________________________________________________ Internet access plans that fit your lifestyle -- join MSN. http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp