security? what security?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Sep 4 14:38:34 PDT 2002

Michael Pollak wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Sep 2002, Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > But I don't have the foggiest notion what a "retarius maneuver" is.
>
> Retarii (if that's the proper plural) were those gladiators who used a net
> to entangle their enemies.

This illustrates one perspective on theory of interpretation. You can't construe an utterance without first identifying its genre. I was attempting to construe your post seeing its genre as one that confined its scope of reference to current events. Hence I assumed "retarius maneuver" was a current coinage from the realm of martial arts or something. :-)

Carrol