[Fwd: Re: a critique of the march on Sandton]

Brian O. Sheppard x349393 bsheppard at bari.iww.org
Thu Sep 5 21:33:16 PDT 2002

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Flint wrote:

> Chuck0,
>
> You might want to pass this over to the lbo list.

I don't get this - Flint is replying to me through you, as a proxy? Is he even on the list himself? If not, why are you forwarding what I say to him? That's weird. If he is on the list, why isn't he responding himself?

> > > I find this cartoon characterization of the black bloc to be extremely
> > > offensive and totally inaccurate.
> > I agree with Fred Woodworth, maker of The Match!, when he calls Black
> > Bloc'ers "violentists" instead of anarchists.

> First, I'm calling you out on this one, Brian.

Why is it that when "fellow anarchists" confront me on this list it starts off in language reminiscent of an AA "intervention"? I don't care much for that kind of dynamic, to be honest.

And I'll also say that ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE did I state that I agree with Woodworth on ANYTHING other than what I posted (and in that he refers to Black Bloc'ers as "violentists.") If you thought that I did agree with Wordworth anywhere else, then you need to re-read my post (so, in other words, what Woodworth believes outside of this matter is irrelevant, even if Flint feels compelled to quote his stances on unrelated topics, as if that has bearing on the matter). Woodworth is right about 50% of the time; his failure to indict capitalism or big business is obviously his biggest flaw in his magazine. He's obsessed with anarchism as a means to carve out a personal lifestyle of freedom as opposed to a means of fomenting broad social change. His anti-computer stance is just bizarre (as is the primitivists'). But at least he can say that, while Primitivists slam the Net and computers, yet use them extensively, Woodworth, who is not even a Primitivist, uses neither. I happen to disagree with both stance re: computer usage. Merely noting the consistency he has and that Primitivists lack. Woodworth also has the bonus of at least being somewhat lovable in his crankiness; primitivists are not.

I'm stating all this lest you eagerly jump into believing that I am some sort of follower of everything Woodworth believes in. I happen to believe that one can agree with *some things* someone says, yet not *everything*. Radical idea, huh?

> Where has the black bloc
> in North America (Europe is a different matter) been very "violent"? Sure
> some windows have been broken. Some graffitti, a bit of paint.
> Sometimes there are some scuffles with cops.

Okay, first of all, if Flint isn't even on the list, I'm not going to respond to him here. This has all the air of being "told on," Chuck0 - as if I must be reported to other anarchists off the list for saying something against Black Blocs or for quoting Woodworth. I'll respond to people on this list, but not through proxies - not through people that have fowarded my messages to others to get a reaction from them.

That's extremely juvenile.

Brian

---

"And Mr. Block thinks he may / Be President some day." - Joe Hill, "Mr. Block"