Christian scholars say no war

Bradford DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Mon Sep 23 13:24:03 PDT 2002

> > The U.S. nukings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki were as much terrorist
>> acts as anything else. I think they were justified terrorist
>> acts--they succeeded in bringing an end to the Japanese militarist
>> government, and did so with a much lower butcher's bill than any
>> conceivable invasion of Honshu. But that doesn't change their
>> character...
>
>This assumes that it would have been implausible to end the war without
>either dropping the nukes or doing a full scale invasion of Japan. Many
>current historians don't feel that's a safe assumption.
>
>Barry

I have never been able to see where they were coming from, besides wishful thinking. The fascist clique ruling Japan were really weird and really nasty. For example, who else--bogged down in a long-term war in China--would decide that the thing to do was to get themselves into a war with Britain and the U.S., then the world's two superpowers?

I found _Downfall_, by... was it John Dower, very interesting on the end of the Pacific War...

Brad DeLong