Christian scholars say no war

Barry Deutsch itsbarry at attbi.com
Mon Sep 23 16:58:41 PDT 2002

Not to be contrary (wait, yes I am), but many lefty historians have also disagreed with the "aimed more at the USSR" theory - Gar Alperowitz is nearly alone on that one.

No one will ever know for certain, but what I find the most convincing is the theory that a combination of racism, hate and anger - mindsets that are understandable coming at the end of a war - kept Truman and others from realizing the other paths open to them, no matter how much evidence there was. There was a possibility, which they did not pursue, of a negotiated surrender; the reason they didn't pursue it was because the ruling mind-set in the US at the time could not see it. They were convinced that an unconditional surrender and nuking Japan was necessary.

Within that context, sending a message to the USSR - and keeping the USSR from being involved in the restructuring of Japan - was a bonus, but not the primary goal.

Barry

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 12:47 PM Subject: Re: Christian scholars say no war