[lbo-talk] Re: Ends/Means

H. Curtiss Leung hncl at panix.com
Mon Apr 7 08:08:00 PDT 2003

Let me get this straight: means are a necessary conditions for ends, so means are therefore always justified. Is that the line of argument? Because if it is, then all it says is that there must always be means, not that *any particular* means are therefore justified. To use the example you cite, you could walk to the store instead of talking the car.

Where there are several means to effect an end, the question is how does one choose between them, what are the best means to effect the desired outcome?