[lbo-talk] Re: Why Police Opened Fire on Oakland Demonstrators and Workers

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Apr 10 09:24:35 PDT 2003

Brad Mayer wrote:
> The strategy should always be to get our opponent to do the work for us.
> Remember: the rulers are the source of disorder.
>
> joanna bujes wrote:
>

>>Moreover, it's clear that the Oakland police shooting on demonstrators the
>>other day was a tactical move basically saying: "this is what you have to
>>expect from us". The police were not reacting to anything; they were making
>>an announcement as it were. As a result, I will not be bringing my children
>>to any future demonstrations in Oakland.
>

> Don't worry about bringing kids if the demo is large enough. Cowardly cops
> never attack large demos.

First of all, this is not a truism that should be used as a guide to protests. The police have been known to mass arrests peaceful marches. In general, yes, large marches and rallies are pretty safe for children.

There are several reasons why the police attacked protesters in Oakland last week. One reason was a show of force to make up for looking bad during the shut down of the Bay Area several weeks ago. More importantly, the police are engaged in pre-emptive violence against what they've concluded are the hard core of the anti-war movements. Their violence is in part an assertion of authority and in part an effort to divide the anti-war movement.

The police *are* engaged in campaigns to divide protesters and they've discovered that activists can be counted on to divide themselves over tactics. The police violence is designed to marginalize those who advocate direct action. It remains to be seen if the more liberal activists can bite their tongue and not further the interests of the police by blaming more radical protesters for the police violence.

Chuck0