[lbo-talk] Is the Anti-War Movement A White's Only Mission?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Apr 14 13:49:10 PDT 2003

============================================= SPECIAL NAT'L BROADCAST OF HARD KNOCK RADIO =============================================

Monday, April 14 2003

IS THE ANTI-WAR MOVEMENT FOR PEOPLE OF COLOR OR IS IT A WHITE'S ONLY MISSION?

Last week, well known Bay Area Hip Hop graf writer Reefa 1 spoke candidly on KPFA's Hard Knock Radio as to why you do not see the average person from the 'hood participating in all these large anti-war demonstrations. His response was that while many of the organizers call for peace around the world, when it comes to Black folks and other people of color they just want 'Peace on the Plantation'. He elaborated on the fact that there has been very little attempt to reach out in the hood and invite people to be active participants. And sadly when people of color do show up they are made to feel unwelcome.

Needless to say Reefa 1's remarks set off our stations phone banks with many of our KPFA listeners upset. However, for many people of color, Reefa 1's remarks were seen as right on time and an accurate assessment of what's going on in today's anti-war movement.

This afternoon [4pm California Time] there will be a special nationwide broadcast of Hard Knock Radio where we will further explore this issue and attempt to answer the question: Is the Anti-War Movement for People of Color or a 'Whites Only Mission'?

It will be hosted by Davey D of KPFA and Rosa Clemente of WBAI in New York

Special Guests will include:

ERNIE PANICIOLLI- Hip Hop Pioneer and Photographer and former Navy Man MARIO AFRICA - AWOL Magazine and MOVE WILLIAM 'UPSKI' WIMSETT - Active Elements Foundation KALIL JACOBS FANTUZZI- Community activist Hip Hop, 101.org

Check your local listings for Pacifica Radio which include:

WBAI in New York [99.5] WPFW in Washington DC [89.3 FM] KPFK in Los Angeles [90.7 fm] KPFT in Houston [90.1 FM] KPFA in SF Bay Area [94.1 fm]

You can also peep this show out on the web at KPFA.org

<http://www.friendsofcamilo.org>