[lbo-talk] Timid Corporation

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Mon Apr 21 00:25:54 PDT 2003

In message <20030420190002.23020.68194.Mailman at infothecary.org>, lbo-talk-request at lbo-talk.org writes
>Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:James Heartfield wrote:
>
>>THE TIMID CORPORATION
>
>James, you've been singing this song a long time. I'm curious - do
>you think the world would be a better place with more cowboy
>capitalists? Is the problem with contemporary capitalism that it's
>not capitalist enough?

Well, I cannot claim authorship: the book is by Ben Hunt, so I'll copy the query to him. (Incidentally, one authority Hunt cites is... Doug Henwood.)

To use a venerable idiom capitalism in its decadent phase is undoubtedly more destructive than in its dynamic phase (bearing in mind that dynamism and destruction are not wholly exclusive).

Hunt's telling examples are of the decline in R&D, which is most definitely a bad thing. I think Yoshie's contribution on Capital's failure to export capital -even unevenly - is a good example, too. -- James Heartfield

http://www.heartfield.demon.co.uk/james1.htm