[lbo-talk] RE: Re: domestic violence

ChrisD(RJ) chrisd at russiajournal.com
Mon Apr 21 03:08:32 PDT 2003

Sigh. It's not just Russia. A Romanian friend of mine was regularly beaten on by her asshole husband. She was absolutely shocked to find out when she came to the states that she could actually call the cops on him for doing this. (Did she ever? No? But she did leave him.)

Joanna --- I assume you get the same urban/rural dichotomy in Romania as in Russia? Peasants tend to be pretty vicious, but the metropoles are relatively pacific (as in, spousal abuse is common, but not open)?

BTW did the Communists in Romania adopt the same hard line against domestic abuse as they did in the USSR? (I'm guessing the answer is "no.")