[lbo-talk] Hey Brad

Bradford DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Thu Apr 24 21:32:36 PDT 2003

>Gotta petition for us on this one? I read something sonewhere about
>Enlightenment values and how:
>
>The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses,
>papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures,
>shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon
>probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly
>describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be
>seized.
>
>But when I mentioned this at Berkeley, all I heard was that it was
>worse in Cuba.
>
>So far you have had nothing to say about the choices the Cubans have
>except that they should implement the values that we are discrading
>so that we can then take those away from them, and you have fucking
>nothing -- NOTHING -- to say about not-so-creeping facisim at home.

I have had, have and will continue to have *plenty* to say about protecting American liberties.

But those of us who believe and defend civil and political rights don't need any "help" from those who think that the absence of such rights in Castro's dictatorship is, on balance, a good thing. To lament "creeping fascism" in America while applauding the real thing in Cuba is disgusting. To imply that the absence of civil and political rights in Cuba is a decision that "Cubans" have collectively made is obscene.

Brad DeLong