[lbo-talk] mobile phones and telemarketers [was: backlash?]

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Wed Aug 6 07:04:45 PDT 2003

On Tuesday, August 5, 2003, at 05:35 PM, Miles Jackson wrote:

> Is there any good
> reason to have a land line anymore?

After a recent move, I've had trouble getting my new land line connected (long story), and with a Verizon strike looming, it might be quite a while. In the meantime, I've been using my cell phone as my primary phone, and I find that it works all right for the most part. Possible problems are: (1) inadequate reception -- where I lived a couple of years ago, I could only use the cell phone by going out of the house on the street in front; (2) the cost consideration -- without a PhD in economics and math, I can't figure out the respective costs of cell phones and land lines; and (3) hooking up a fax and a modem, which I need for my work. But these days, cell phones seem to be sprouting all kinds of features land lines don't, so for some people they may be more useful.

Doug wrote:

>The sound quality is better, and you don't put yourself at risk of a brain tumor.

My experience is that the sound quality is OK, as long as you are in an area with good reception. About brain tumors, I haven't kept up with the latest research, but I don't think there is any sound evidence of a risk yet.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org ______________________________ If I have seen further than others, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.-- Isaac Newton If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on my shoulders.-- Hal Abelson, MIT professor