[lbo-talk] Ralph on the recall

Eubulides paraconsistent at comcast.net
Tue Aug 12 16:23:46 PDT 2003

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To: <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Tuesday, August 12, 2003 3:55 PM Subject: Re: [lbo-talk] Ralph on the recall

> Eubulides wrote:

Well, just think of RN as the consummate defender of neoclassical consumer choice theory. :-)

To claim that he thinks personal-injury lawsuits are the *only* way to tame the markets is ludicrous if one spends even 5 minutes actually talking with him. The problems of construing the issues he's dealt with with the same old regulation/deregulation binary folks take for granted is too simplistic and you know that from the discussions on pen-l.

http://regenerationtv.net/pipermail/actionladiscuss/2001-January/000025.html [doesn't read like 'deregulation' to me]

http://financialservices.house.gov/banking/61500nad.htm [shows the problems of thinking in terms of the deregulation/regulation binary]

The guy's no saint but he's done more for the US public than Brad'll do in 50 lifetimes.

Did I mention that he thinks corporations are undemocratic tyrannies? How's that like the folks at the Cato Institute?

Ian