[lbo-talk] Alex Cockburn on Ted Honderich

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Aug 18 13:47:31 PDT 2003

Carrol Cox wrote:
> 10, 000 persuasive articles would be pointless if the vast
> majority of Americans never came to know that they existed, never had
> the time to read them, and didn't really think it made any difference
> what they thought about [anything].

Illustration. Today as I was loading groceries into my car an elderly lady (probably at or near my age) who was loading hers walked up to ask if I had more of the bumper sticker on my car (No Iraq War). I had more at home but none with me; the 'sticker' was magnetic, however, & I gave her mine. She said "thank you, I'm really against it."

The point is that there are millions of people out there who agree with us but don't know we exist. Until we reach those people, it is worse than stupid, it is a betrayal of our cause, to focus all our attention on those who can't be persuaded in the immediate future regardless of what we do.

Carrol