[lbo-talk] Re: Thanksgiving

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Dec 2 08:40:23 PST 2003

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 09:48:47 -0500, Wojtek Sokolowski <sokol at jhu.edu> wrote:

> Jon:
>> *Any* tendencies? Even reactionary, racist, anti-Semitic, etc., ones?
>>

> The ACLU had no problem defending the Nazi right to march in Skokie, IL,
> because it supported the idea of free speech, even though nobody can
> seriously claim that it supported the Nazi ideology.

And, as related in the book by Aryeh Neier on the Nazi Skokie case they lost zillions of members. Taking Liberties: Four Decades in the Struggle for Rights by: Aryeh Neier 07 January, 2003 Defending My Enemy: American Nazis in Skokie, Illinois, and the Risks of Freedom by: Aryeh Neier February, 1979 http://www.siu.edu/~siupress/titles/f99_titles/walker_defense.htm In Defense of American Liberties A History of the ACLU Second Edition Samuel Walker November 1999 ISBN 0-8093-2270-6 / paper / $24.95t 494 pages / 6 X 9 Legal Studies / American History Wretched Catholic reactionary William Donohue vs. Samuel Walker, Title: Twilight of Liberty: The Legacy of the ACLU Author: William A. Donohue Publisher: Transaction Books. Date Published: December 1993 http://www.worldandi.com/specialreport/1987/june/Sa12647.htm http://www.worldandi.com/specialreport/1990/May/Sa17963.htm