[lbo-talk] Leading Left Wing Windbags (Was: Review of Hitchens and Ali)

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Dec 6 17:44:32 PST 2003

On Sat, 6 Dec 2003 15:09:30 -0800 (PST), mike larkin <mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> George Michael Evica (conspiracy nut at crappy local
> college in CT)

Encounter | by Neil Swidey

George Michael Evica

For 27 years, Evica, 74, of Hartford has hosted a weekly radio show about the JFK assassination. He is a professor emeritus of English.

Globe Staff Photo / Lane Turner

Is John F. Kennedy's assassination always on your mind?

No. I go for hours, days, sometimes a week, and I don't think about it. I think about family, theater, music. This is not obsessional. It's not easy for people to really believe that.

Give us the elaborate way you begin each show.

This is George Michael Evica, editor and writer of Assassination Journal [broadcast on the University of Hartford's WWUH, 91.3], a weekly public- affairs presentation on the death of John F. Kennedy and its links to the CIA-directed plots against Fidel Castro, to the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa, to the career and fall of Richard Nixon, to the so-called Watergate crimes, to certain events in Central and South America, to the Vietnam War, to the decades-old collaboration in drug-dealing between organized crime and US intelligence, and to the attack on the presidency as a people's institution -- the story of the still-unsolved murder of President John Fitzgerald Kennedy, November 22, 1963, and its aftermath.

How did you get in so deep?

The murder of Lee Harvey Oswald piqued my interest sufficiently to begin reading. But it wasn't until Watergate that I went deeper. I recognized the names of three of the suspects -- Frank Sturgis, Bernard Barker, and E. Howard Hunt -- as people who'd been discussed as possible participants in the assassination. I thought I ought to follow up. I did. I eventually hosted a national conference on the assassination, which led to the radio show.

Any idea how many people listen?

No. But I get e-mails from people overseas who tune in over the Internet (web.hartford.edu/WWUH).

OK, who killed JFK?

People want names, but it's not that easy. The national security state, a secret government operating in the shadows, made up of power brokers both inside and outside the government, made the decision that he had to go. He was killed because of the extraordinary changes in the kind of government we would have had if he were successful. Some considered cp9.5JFKcp10.5 a traitor for authorizing back-channel discussions with Fidel Castro and Nikita Khrushchev. Detente with Cuba and the Soviet Union was unacceptable, because the Cold War was good business. Also, the CIA and organized crime were both involved in narcotics. Kennedy's attack on narcotics threatened the entire system.

Have your views riled people up?

In 1977, I was driving back from southern Connecticut after making a presentation, and a car with no lights attempted to run me off the road. I assumed I was making someone very upset.

Has your wife ever said, "Enough already"?

No. She does say, however, "Clean up the books and papers in this room!" It's an outrage of paper.

This story ran in the Boston Globe Magazine on 7/21/2002. © Copyright 2002 Globe Newspaper Company.