[lbo-talk] Re: reliability of online polls

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Dec 15 11:56:05 PST 2003

Daniel:
> Never assume that you can make allowances for the bias of a
self-selected poll.
> Self-selected polls are *worthless*.

WS: I know that, after all I am a social scientist. However, other, more representative polls show that the majority of the US-ers oppose gay marriages or civil unions, although the percentages vary (see, for example, below):

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/us/Relationships/gaymarriage_poll_030922. html http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/printer-friendly.asp?ARTICLE_ID=35957 http://www.mcjonline.com/news/03a/20031120a.shtml

Bigotry and intolerance are as American as apple pie - the lynching of unpopular minorities would be in a full swing if the authorities would not put a stop on it.

Wojtek