[lbo-talk] Gringo Stalingrad [was: Global Warming 'Virtually Certain' Says Amer.Geophysical Union]

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Thu Dec 18 06:30:11 PST 2003

Sally:
> Not if you live on a small island or low-lying area of the world ...
> For those of us who do -- I have heard we will be Atlantis in only 40
or so
> years...
> and that is based on current emissions... never mind the growth in
> emmissions which car manifacturers seemed geared to create ...
> As soon as I get a *real* job I plan to buy some land in a mountainous
area
> ;-)

I know that - I live near the Chesapeake Bay, downtown Baltimore, and saw significant flooding last fall caused by a hurricane. I can only imagine that with the global warming I would have a waterfront property or perhaps even underwater.

But nonetheless I am prepared to pay that price for the demise of the US capitalism. I have this idea in my head about someone in 1940 in Paris, watching the Nazi troops marching under the Arc de Triomphe, without knowing that only two or so years later there would be Stalingrad - a combination of natural and human-made conditions that precipitated the demise of the Nazi juggernaut. So I am hoping that the Gringos, triumphant as they are today, will eventually meet their Stalingrad, perhaps even in my life time. That keeps the hope alive. Otherwise, one may as well off oneself.

Wojtek