[lbo-talk] Re: barbarian of the moment

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Dec 18 18:11:25 PST 2003

frank scott wrote:

> [clip] certain types who've never
> read much about our own vast stockpile of burnt flesh and squashed
> brains...

I wonder. Somehow I had always taken it for granted that subscribers to this list would have general knowledge of "our own vast stockpile" of horror, but maybe many don't. That would be one explanation of the perverse tendency to see u.s. intervention abroad as possibly positive.

That would also cast a somewhat different light on Chomsky's piling up of facts. His books could have an effect on those who had come to oppose or be skeptical of _particular_ u.s. crimes (seen not as crimes but as aberrations), and hence were potentially ready to listen, but simply had no idea of the details of u.s. activity around the world.

Interesting.

Carrol