[lbo-talk] atheism

BrownBingb at aol.com BrownBingb at aol.com
Thu Dec 25 11:15:37 PST 2003

-clip-

Some discussion of the metaphysical foundations of science can be found in Christopher Caudwell's "Illusion and Relaity." More discussion can be found in the writings of Paul Feyerabend. Still more discussion in the first chapter of "Donne's Dialogue of One," which focuses on the claim that "mathematics is the language of science" and unravels the cultural basis of that claim (my unpublished dissertation).

Joanna

^^^^^^

CB: I believe Engels (after Hegel) tags Newtonian mechanics as metaphysical in contrast with dialectical. On the other hand, in general , Marxist philosophers tag metaphysics as a "mechanical" conception of the universe and of change. Physics as a model for philosophy.

Einstein's relativity might be said to move physics in a dialectical direction because it absolutizes a form of motion ( the speed of light) and relativizes the forms of "state", time and space.