[lbo-talk] Old Left v WSF etc

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Dec 25 11:37:09 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> I think all these strands of the left should talk to
> each other, though I'm not sure how much or well they can all work
> together.

I would reverse that. Almost all these strands of the left can work together, but I'm not sure how much they have to say to each other. And if they can talk with each other, it is only as the focal topics emerge from the shared practice. I suspect -- no, I'm convinced -- that under many circumstances I could work very well with Chuck0 or Wojtek -- but I see no conceivable gain, for them or me, for us to talk to each other in the abstract realm of cyberspace. In fact I _have_ worked, quite amicably and successfully, over the years with people whose abstract politics (and that is all that can be expressed on a maillist) would have offered almost no shared platform for discussion.

Carrol