Challenger, M11, Euro-Weenies

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Tue Feb 4 13:51:20 PST 2003

On Sun, 2 Feb 2003 23:22:12(CST) Christian Gregory <christian11 at mindspring.com> said

> Give it a rest, James. You didn't even get the name of the shuttle right. It was the shuttle Columbia. Challenger blew up in '86. The conflation is fairly telling, given what we know about the crass stupidity and greed that caused the previous calamity. If I were a Freudian, I'd say that you doth protest too much. Like the student of mine who once told me, when making an excuse for an absence, "My grandmother lied, er, I mean, died." "It was Challenger, that great emblem of Boeing's greed and state stupidity, er, I mean, unbidden scientific exploration." God save the Queen.

Since I never hesitate to disagree with James, let me defend him on this one.

Yes, because it was a short post, he elided some of what comes from a space program in our current horrid system. It is used for the military. It is underfunded; and some of what is allocated is wasted. Probably a lot if it goes to inefficient and evil contractors. Possibly safety requirements are not paid sufficient attention or sufficiently funded and critics who point this out ignored. But you know, worse things can be said about our health care system. Even the harshes critics of our health care system want a different better health care system, not to eliminate health care. Similarly critics of our space program may have good arguments for running it differently; but I think there is not good argument against having a space program.

A friend mine, Joseph Conat puts it much more eloquently than I can: