Bobby Seale to speak in SE Michigan, Feb 6

JBrown72073 at cs.com JBrown72073 at cs.com
Tue Feb 4 14:17:55 PST 2003

>What is Elaine Brown doing now?
>
>Carrol

Her "A Taste of Power" was published in '92. Worth reading--she was attacked for criticizing male chauvinism in the Panthers (and also for talking about Huey Newton's drug use), but she retorts that she talked more positively about the Panther men she worked with than others who've written about the period. I heard her speak in Tallahassee in late '96, a fascinating speech in many ways. Some of it we transcribed for the local monthly I co-edit. See http://www.afn.org/~iguana/archives/1997_02/19970202.html

At the time she was working on some kind of school/mutual aid project in Atlanta and on a foundation in Huey Newton's name.

Brown wrote an editorial supporting Jamil Al-Amin after he was arrested (would've been arond March 2000). I can't remember if she testified at his sentencing hearing. Jamil Al-Amin (H. Rap Brown) was appointed Minister of Justice in the BPP briefly in 1967 during the fragile alliance between the BPP and SNCC--by then the Student National Coordinating Committee. OF course the alliance was pretty much smashed by agentry.

Jenny Brown