Arms inspectors vote on BBC

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Tue Feb 11 08:40:40 PST 2003

Wojtek:

> Most US-ers are ignorant and arogant
> buffoons who will use every opportunity to show their superiority by
> "kicking butt." They love Bush an cannot wait for his invasion of Iraq,
> so they vicariously participate in this "butt kicking" and then feel
> superior about themselves.

Most of my relatives, who are quite conservative, have tremendous apprehension about Bush's war. And I've no doubt this is true throughout the country. Indeed, I get no sense of "bloodlust" coming from the heartland, but you do see it among educated elites and their media outlets. Yet, I know for some here, the picture of the knuckle-dragging Amur'can is quite comforting in the face of so much uncertainty.

> Europeans, who are more civilised and also experienced the horrors of
> war themselves, are much less gung-ho.

Another cliché -- the "civilized" Europeans. Ho. Ho.

"Arms Trade, Human Rights, and European Union Enlargement"

Human Rights Watch, Oct. 8, 2002

"The countries of Central and Eastern Europe, including several that are candidates for European Union (E.U.) membership, have long been a major source of weapons flows to human rights abusers, conflict regions, and clients suspected of diverting weapons to unauthorized destinations. There has been some recent progress to tighten controls, but serious problems remain."

<http://www.globalpolicy.org/security/smallarms/2002/1011arms.htm>

DP