Becker & Lerner on KPFA News

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Feb 12 10:08:04 PST 2003

> So, you are taking the position that the podium of every anti-war rally is
> the 'public square' and things should be conducted on the 'open mike'
> principle? It's not a novel position. The Spartacist League believes in
> this. They believe they have the right to make a denunciatory statement
at
> every meeting which is open to the public, and if you cut them off they
have
> exposed you as an enemy of 'free speech' and they write a Workers'
Vanguard > article about how you are afraid of debate.

> LP

I don't know or really care about the Sparts -- that end of the political spectrum is more your turf than mine. But I find it interesting that a "public" antiwar rally has taken on private features, i.e., those with the mikes will decide who speaks, based on ideological fitness. Like the corp media, you and your allies are fashioning the discussion to serve a narrow end. Your right, of course (though if such a thing were done to your little sect, I highly doubt you would keep quiet about it). If you want to hold a private, invitation-only rally, by all means do so. Just spare us the "public" tag.

DP