NYC 2/15

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Sun Feb 16 01:18:34 PST 2003

On Sat, 15 Feb 2003, Doug Henwood posted pictures:

> <http://www.leftbusinessobserver.com/Feb15_intro.html>.

Great pics! Judging from the pictorial evidence of your route, I think we were probably within hailing distance the whole time. You left out a couple of my favorite signs, though, including

-- "Smoke pot, Not Iraq!"

-- "Who would Jesus bomb?"

-- "Late Sleepers Against the War"

-- A color coded "media bullshit meter" ranging from yellow to red

-- "This War is Bushit!"

and my favorite, the not-funny but terribly succinct:

-- "Cynical, Evil and Stupid"

I also liked one chubby little boy carrying a sign that said "Get Bush a Game Boy!" And who could not love the GLAMericans Shock and Awe routine? But I think my faves were . .. well I think they were the Eco-Erotic Noise Brigade, but they could have been the Mardi Gras Carnival Bloc. Pretty green people with Mardi Gras hats and make-up and many with headbands that said Reclaim the Beat. Which they did.

Later on, around 3 or so, Third Avenue got even more packed than Doug's photos show, with people climbing on lampposts and at one point even on top of a stranded Frito Lay truck to harague the by that point almost incompressible knots of crowd. I think people began to seek out the push backs as time went on not only for the exhilaration but for the warmth.

Michael