another pious eruption from Lerner

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Feb 18 20:36:10 PST 2003

Doug Henwood wrote:

> The guy writes this stuff himself in the third person, right? This
> man should be let nowhere near a speakers' platform.

I heard him speak at the 1969 SDS national convention. I can't remember a thing he said, but I can still remember his posture as he spoke. :-) I can't say how I responded at the time, since memory of that response would be filtered through so many subsequent events. He initiated the New American Movement. I remember a conversation with some friends from San Diego about NAM and whether it was a promising venture. I mentioned Lerner, and one woman from San Diego replied, "Oh, it won't be difficult to isolate him" or something to that effect. It's sort of amazing that one person could evoke so much negative response from so many directions. (Actually, Jerry Rubin left a similar bad taste in the mouth of everyone I have ever met who knew him.)

Carrol