Sparseness of Marxist Theory

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Wed Feb 19 12:29:36 PST 2003

Jim F. >...Well, in France and Italy which used to have strong Communist

parties, these parties were supposed to help bridge the gap

between the academics and the practical Marxists, which I

suppose they did to some extent, although probably not

as much as one might have liked (did the work of Althusser

and his students have much impact on the praxis of the

practical Marxists?).

Maxime Rodinson, French Communist Party member from '37 to '58, independent marxist afterwards, in the 2nd chapter of, "Cult, Ghetto, and State, " on Zionism and the Palestine Question, chapter entitled, "Self- Criticism," has many examples of the editing his manuscripts faced by Jean Kanapa, the PCF's version of the CPUSA's Alexander Bittleman. The strictures regarding ritualistic denunciation of Titoism and "Trotskyite" heresies are sad and funny.

On the below, Slansky, was the Jewish head of the Czech CP. Show trial in '52 (see memoirs by Artur London and Jan Kavan) condemned and executed him for, "Titoism, Trotskyism, Zionism." (see, official Italian Communist Party historian, P. Spriono, "Stalin and the European Communists, " NLB/Verso.)

"Traitorous Doctors, " refers to the last bit of madness from Stalin the so-called Dpctor's Plot of '52.

One bit from Rodinson from Kanapa's red-pencilling,pg. 48 "Dear Comrade...It is necessary: in general, never to use the expression "Jewish Question, " or Jewish problem" [Cf. "On The Jewish Question, " K.M.]

'to insist on the fact that Washington and London have made the state of Israel a cetre of espionage and sabotage.

"It is absolutely necessary to insist on, and to lead the reader to grasp, the rapproachmont between Tito and Israel, as two "state-instruments" in the hands of the USA. That is decisive.

"To indicate, around galley 11, that the real enemies of the Jewish workers, the American workers, and the Soviet people; these enemies are both the Israeli government and the Slansky's and the traitor doctorsd. "our enemies are the same"...

-- Michael Pugliese, overposted

"Without knowing that we knew nothing, we went on talking without listening to

each other. Sometimes we flattered and praised each other, understanding that

we would be flattered and praised in return. Other times we abused and shouted

at each other, as if we were in a madhouse." -Tolstoy