Ramsey Clark & the right to counsel

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Thu Feb 20 13:43:26 PST 2003

Nathan Newman wrote:

> George Bush is not aspiring to leadership of the progressive movement.
> Ramsey and the IAC/ANSWER are.
>
> Discussing the character merits of Bush is actually pretty irrelevant to
> anything we as progressives have immediate control or decision power over.
> Whether Ramsey is a trustworthy leader has immediate and current relevance
> to how we structure the antiwar movement and who shapes its message to the
> public.

Which just goes to show how irresponsible the anti-war left has been concerning ANSWER's attempt to exert hegemony over the anti-war movement (sic). Anybody with any familiarity with the WWP, IAC, and Ramsey Clark could have told you in the Fall of 2001 that this kind of political bagage would become a publicity nightmare someday.

Yes, a political lawyer has the right to defend unpopular clients, but Clark is also a leader of an activist organization that seeks to have a hand in anything organized against U.S. policies.

Chuck0

------------------------------------------------------------ Personal homepage -> http://chuck.mahost.org/ Infoshop.org -> http://www.infoshop.org/ MutualAid.org -> http://www.mutualaid.org/ Alternative Press Review -> http://www.altpr.org/ Practical Anarchy Online -> http://www.practicalanarchy.org/ Anarchy: AJODA -> http://www.anarchymag.org/

"The state can't give you free speech, and the state can't take it away. You're born with it, like your eyes, like your ears. Freedom is something you assume, then you wait for someone to try to take it away. The degree to which you resist is the degree to which you are free..." ---Utah Phillips