Lenin on Imperialism

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Feb 24 12:23:42 PST 2003

Ian Murray wrote:

> Evil is a bad thing.

You are arguing that the U.S. state, given present social relations of production, can make a deliberate choice to foreswear inteventions (financial, military, diplomatic) in the internal affairs of other parts of the world? That this government can choose to forbid u.s. companies to extract profit from foreign investment. (I am assuming that a major aspect of imperialism is the maintenance of discipline over the domestic work force.)

Evil nas nothing to do with it.

Do you really believe that the foreign policy of the United States from the foundation of the United Fruit Companay and Standard Oil to the present has simply been a political choice made by the parties in power?

It seems to me that you are operating on the premise that evil is bad (that is, that evil can be eliminated simply by the evil ceasing to be evil).

I seriously disbelieve in the existence of any metaphysical evil or good.

Carrol