Self-determination - pork rinds

Kelley jimmyjames at softhome.net
Tue Jan 7 21:19:09 PST 2003

At 05:26 PM 1/7/03 -0800, Chip Berlet wrote:

>I eat them on road trips through the south. It's a culture thing. Like
>shopping at Piggly-Wiggly or drinking RC Cola.

on my trip southward, I wanted to see a PIggly Wiggly! I never found one. RC cola is southern? Never knew!

> > Aren't those skins and not big gobs of "depot" fat?
> >
> > Doug

i can't stand them, my dad lurvs 'em. He ain't southern, but is sho'nuf is a man who likes his offbeat foods: pig's feet, pickled eggs, super hot anything, etc. As Chip says, they're half protein, half fat. in fact, I think they have slightly more protein than fat. The Inuit, of course, eat something quite similar, consisting of a bit more fat: whale skin and whale blubber. The fat composition ranges anywhere from 30-70% depending on what part of the whale they're eating. I just had me a nice, yummy fresh salmon for dinner! Gotta love the nice, tasty and very healthy Omega 3 oils!

Eating a half ounce of pork rinds would be like eating an egg in terms of grams of protein and grams of fat. We, otherwise, consider an egg a really lovely source of protein. Of course, as we now know: cholesterol consumption doesn't really cause high cholesterol so no need to worry about that any more. Our liver makes more cholesterol than most of us could possibly eat in a day and, in turn, it downregulates its production of cholesterol depending on how much you eat. We'd have to eat something like 9 eggs to get in enough dietary cholesterol to actually match the cholesterol our liver makes on a daily basis.

Kelley

Maybe Chip should do a spot for Emeril?