Self-determination - pork rinds

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Tue Jan 7 21:44:24 PST 2003

Discussions of cholesterol -- doesn't it sound like a mouthwash (who sold that label first, in any case, anyone have a source for "cholesterol")? -- always make me feel like someone sitting in on a liturgy I've never been schooled in. But... what is a "Piggly-Wiggly"? I've more experience at Southern than other forms of Americana (in a simply quantative sense), but I've never heard of this.

Catherine

Quoting Kelley <jimmyjames at softhome.net>:

> At 05:26 PM 1/7/03 -0800, Chip Berlet wrote:
>
> >I eat them on road trips through the south. It's a culture thing. Like
> >shopping at Piggly-Wiggly or drinking RC Cola.
>
> on my trip southward, I wanted to see a PIggly Wiggly! I never found one.
> RC cola is southern? Never knew!
>

> > > Aren't those skins and not big gobs of "depot" fat?
> > >
> > > Doug
>
> i can't stand them, my dad lurvs 'em. He ain't southern, but is sho'nuf is
> a man who likes his offbeat foods: pig's feet, pickled eggs, super hot
> anything, etc. As Chip says, they're half protein, half fat. in fact, I
> think they have slightly more protein than fat. The Inuit, of course, eat
> something quite similar, consisting of a bit more fat: whale skin and whale
>
> blubber. The fat composition ranges anywhere from 30-70% depending on what
> part of the whale they're eating. I just had me a nice, yummy fresh salmon
> for dinner! Gotta love the nice, tasty and very healthy Omega 3 oils!
>
> Eating a half ounce of pork rinds would be like eating an egg in terms of
> grams of protein and grams of fat. We, otherwise, consider an egg a really
> lovely source of protein. Of course, as we now know: cholesterol
> consumption doesn't really cause high cholesterol so no need to worry about
>
> that any more. Our liver makes more cholesterol than most of us could
> possibly eat in a day and, in turn, it downregulates its production of
> cholesterol depending on how much you eat. We'd have to eat something like
> 9 eggs to get in enough dietary cholesterol to actually match the
> cholesterol our liver makes on a daily basis.
>

> Kelley
>

> Maybe Chip should do a spot for Emeril?

-- Dr Catherine Driscoll School of Philosophical and Historical Inquiry University of Sydney Phone (61-2) 93569503

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/