Deleuze & Guattari, Zizek on Arendt (More from Brennan)

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at arts.usyd.edu.au
Thu Jan 9 15:48:27 PST 2003

Quoting Todd Archer <todda39 at hotmail.com>:

> >Because pop culture is only concerned with what hundreds of millions, nay
> >billions, of people think and dream about, when the real action is around
> >the forces of production. I'm shocked you had to ask.
>
> >Doug
>
> <rolling of eyes> Yes, Great Heavens! "Forces of production"! How boring
> and yesterday! All the great insights into society can be had via Simpsons
>
> and Dorito commercials! Who needs that icky "serious stuff"?

Um... are you suggesting the Simpsons and, moreover, Dorito commercials, are detached in any way from "forces of production"? That they can not be used to offer any kind of insight into said "forces"?

I don't give a damn if Yoshie, Carrol, or you, find reading Marx, or whomever, more insightful than the Simpsons, Empire, or advertising for chips. Fair enough, depends what you're working on. I can find ways in which all of these have something to offer. But I'm very surprised to hear "Marxists" contending that some of these are not relevant to analysis of "forces of production". Or even more bizarrely -- I think, though it's a hell of a competition -- that some of these are not worthy of attention because they are significant to too many people.

This is obviously some new and freaky understanding of Marxism with which I am not familiar. Or perhaps an old and freaky one. I'm unclear on that last part.

Catherine

------------------------------------------------- This mail sent through IMP at ArtsIT: http://admin.arts.usyd.edu.au/horde/imp/