Hardass Marxists

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 12 11:33:38 PST 2003

In the last two and a half years I've been going to the gym fairly a intensely, with pretty good results. I've also come to the conclusion that Marxism asa movement is washed up. I don't think I've changed my substantive views (as opposed to their characterization) on anything except here and there at the margins in quite some time, but other can judge that better than I. I don't suppose that I ever qualified as a hardass Marxist. jks

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote:Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>I'd love to be a hardass Marxist, but I'm afraid I'd have to get on
>a StairMaster to become one. From what I've observed, Carrol is a
>bonyass Marxist, and, very sad and embarrassing to admit, I'm a
>flatass Marxist (in my defense, I plead that it's a common condition
>among East Asians, especially the Japanese). If you spot hardass
>Marxists, send them my way. ;->

My one year now of intense gym attendance has hardened mine considerably, but many would consider me not a Marxist.

Slavoj sez somewhere that attention to fitness is an early sign of a rightward move; he cites Jane Fonda as proof.

>I wonder if the post-Last-Marxist Katha has remade herself into a
>Mujer de Metal as her daughter encouraged.

Don't know about the metallic content, but she has undergone quite a makeover and looks great. She even bought some stuff at Sephora!

Doug