Decriminalization of Drugs

Thomas Seay entheogens at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 26 20:44:19 PST 2003

--- DoreneFC at aol.com wrote:
> Gees. Some of you all act like it's only state power
> and not ferocious
> biochemistry, interpersonal dynamics, and probably
> some genetic
> predispositions that make drugs that happen to be
> illegal also dangerous.
> Then you want to pretend that the only people hurt
> by people's drug
> indulgences are the users themselves. I wish I could
> agree.

No, we are not saying that. We are just saying that drug use (when it does become a problem) is not solved by criminalization.

Yes, other people than the problem drug user are hurt. However, that does not make criminalization the solution. We have the same problems with the drug prohibition as we did with alcohol prohibition. This latter didn't solve alcoholism just as drug prohibition does not solve any of the problems associated with certain types of drug use.

Drug addiction, like alcoholism, is a health problem. Making them crimes only destroys lives further and creates even more social problems.

-Thomas

===== <<Be like me! The Primal Mother, eternally creative, eternally impelling into life,

eternally drawing satisfaction from the ceaseless flux of phenomena.>>

-Nietzsche, "The Birth of Tragedy"