rice for peace

Gar Lipow lipowg at sprintmail.com
Thu Jan 30 11:13:19 PST 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003 10:21:28 Kelley wrote

> i actually think this is a plan that could make a small dent.
>
> <http://www.rmpjc.org/RiceForPeace/readmore.html>
>
> I realize that it doesn't much live up to the demand to involve people in
> practice but at the moment, I'm much more interested in 1. stopping the war
> and 2. getting massive numbers of people to do something in symbolic
> protest without relying on demos.
>
> at this stage, with cracks in elite support for war...it might just make a
> significant dent. I'd like the publicity of the White House mailroom loaded
> down with packets of rice.
>
> ok, so maybe I watched Miracle on 34th St. too much.
>
> what are the drawbacks of this type of action, other than the above and
> that it's too individualistic?
>

> kelley
>
> sentimental asshole

I have one question. With the check-every-package for bombs and anthrax is sending white substances through the mail a good tactic? Actually, maybe it is.If only a few are sent it will take while before any packages; but only a few packages won't have a lot anyway.. On the other hand, if a lot of them are sent it coud overload the screeners and make a big impact? Whatddayathink about that aspect.

In terms of larger questions, I seem abosultely nothing wrong with this type of thing when practical. There are a lot of people who only have resources to do this sort of thing. And something is better than nothing. And if you are involved in any type of mass movement (maass movement defined generously as "more than two - as in one,two, many"). And as they say on the site, you can bring rice where people are gathered and make it a group action. You could even have a D.C. action to deposit packages of rice on the whitehouse steps ( Or as close as you can get if they won't let; or closer than they want to let you and do civil disobendience. Let them see police arrest a group of poeple for trying to give the Whitehouse rice.) And for people who can't do anything like it, mailing rice is probably good - my only concern is the practical one. Will the only security thing make it less effective or more? Someone who has particpated in this kind of thing in more of a leadership role than I have will probably have comments on that aspect.