[lbo-talk] Queen for a Day: My Gay Makeover

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 14 15:09:31 PDT 2003

> If you listen to straight male conversation in
> public places, much of it is
> explicitly aimed at proving that the speaker is not
> gay, and moreover, is
> manifestly less gay than his interlocutors. What an
> exhausting and hostile
> way to define oneself! A lot of violence against gay
> men stems from that
> impulse. So it's pretty cool to have something like
> this on TV.

Like Johnny Cash song, "A Boy Named Sue," where the absent/abandoning dad names his son "Sue," so he'll have to fight his way through life to prove he's a man. Or a Man, as the case may be. But at the end of the song, the narrator says that if he has a son he'll name him Bill or Bob, or anything but Sue. So maybe there's progress. Woulda been better if he'd said he'd stay and raise little Bill/Bob himself, because it's manly to raise your kids. Maybe that is too much to hope for. Course hereabouts I go by "Andie," which is sort of androgynous if you don't know German. But then I'm a Sensitive New Age Guy.

I wonder how much of gay body and clothes vanity and, uh, attentiveness (I am very vain on both counts -- clotheshorse who spends lots of time in the gym!), and general cultivation and culchah is a function of DINKhood; it's maybe something of a class marker. These are activities that are expensive or time consuming or both, and it's easier and more affordable to pursue them if you don't have kids and you do have an upper middle class job. Maybe the converse too, working class people may in part stigmatize these things because they think they can't have them, and resent gays and others who for conspicuous cultivation, to coin a phrase, rather than centrally because these things are girly or gay-associated. Just a speculation.

jks

jks